RC AIRCRAFT BUILDS Gliders Finally got my Excalibur Reply To: Finally got my Excalibur

Just a quick update on the Excalibur V2 Hotliner.

The V2 flies beautifully (both fast & slow), glides well & thermals when the conditions are right.

I normally fly with a 4S 2200mAh 40C LiPo battery but have also flown multiple times with a 3S 2200mAh 30C LiPo and the only real difference is the speed and perhaps just slightly better thermalling.

I was disappointed that the original ESC played up on only the second flight but this was quickly replaced by HK under warranty.

Still had some motor “stutter” issues with the replacement ESC but setting the timing to High rather than Auto seemed to fix that.

There were occasions, usually after a High Speed dive with no power, that the motor failed to start & I wasn’t sure why.  Noted on line that there were a couple of reports of the prop catching on the canopy so on last Sunday when the motor again failed to start I made some low level passes over the field & checked the prop position.

Turns out that the prop was indeed catching on the left side of the canopy on occasions after a dive. I suspect that during a high speed power off manoeuvre the cooling air flowing through the numerous vents in the V2 creates enough pressure in the cockpit to push the canopy out ever so slightly and allow the prop to get caught and the motor fail to start.  This is probably what caused the failure of the original ESC from applying full power whilst the motor was jammed.

After the problem was identified on Sunday I flew the remainder of the flights with a velcro strap around the canopy which fixed the problem (although not looking that neat).

Today I have added a small plastic tab (taped onto the fuselage only) that covers the canopy join on the LHS and prevents the prop getting caught (hopefully).

No doubt next fly day will be the test.

Another option is to tape the side of the canopy but that sort of defeats the purpose of having a clip on canopy for easy removal.