RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2023 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing 07/11/2023

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

An overcast sky and a light breeze from the North began the morning for 11 skippers. A half hour later it had lightened and backed around to the South and then sometimes East, sometimes West, all making course and sail setting quite a trial.

Trout was our PRO today in the absence of both Bodge and Gadget, fortunately we still had Sue keeping us tidy on scores and time keeping. The Admiral was drafted to write the day up.

Before racing had gotten underway an innovative way to save wear and tear on servo’s and keep valuable battery power in reserve was ably demonstrated by our own Unflappable One launching his craft completely power free. Apparently this new and innovative approach to low cost sailing still needs some work before going global.

Our two visitors from Orford were warmly welcomed again though both struggled in the fickle conditions. Bruce suffered with tuning issues, missing three races in the process.

His very innovative approach to tell-tale design is commendable though.

Ray completed all races however the vagaries of Puddleduck breezes had them both foxed at times.

Marks were often crowded and buoys difficult to negotiate at distance.

The extremely light and sometimes frustrating conditions didn’t really suit anyone with just five skippers sharing all podium places in the seven races sailed.

This is highly unusual and something the handicap system was designed to correct…… and it usually does. Just not this time.

Despite this the racing was keen everywhere, particularly at the pointy end where it was at times white hot, podium places often not being decided until the last few centimetres to the line.

With three first places it was surprising that Cooka did not feature higher than fourth in the overall combined results. Despite its sleek lines and well made sails, the conditions did not suit the high aspect rig of the RG65 and some ordinary other finishes didn’t help either

With just seven races sailed both Trout and Jammy finished on equal points. Both skippers sailed extremely well and only on count back was Trout with two firsts to Jamey’s one, declared the todays overall winner. The scores below tell the story. The Admiral managed to hang on to their coat tails to score third overall just two point shy of both in front.

Big thank you to Sue and Trout for their service to day. Mascot Bonny was well behaved as usual and enjoyed her day out with the ‘duckers.

The Orford lads reckon we duckers won’t be so flash on their home turf and so have invited all to come and play (DF65) in their pond on Friday 17th. More details on the calendar and comments below.

NB

Fab has had a ‘senior moment’ and left his boat stand behind. If you have it or know where it is please contact Phil at your earliest convenience.

Cheers

Admiral

Here is a pic of a close finish

Thanks Andy, that’s exactly what I’m talking’ about! Very close …… could throw a blanket over the fleet on the finish line. 👍

Yes the albino masthead spider didn’t have a good day. I think I’ve sorted the problem. Don’t worry, the spider remains for now!

Fab

Great write up Colin. Yes, a seniors moment for sure but didn’t hear any crunching as I reversed out so I recon I left it on the grass.

Drifting days like that test skill and patience but we all got around reasonably well.

Thanks all and thanks Sue and Bonnie.

Fab.

Thanks Fab another happy day above ground! 👍

NICE pickies very good write up from the ADMIRAL   an a picture from the GENTLE GIANT..someone musta got him down from his barn rafters   Congrats to trouty  AN TO THE LESSER WINNERS  Training course’s  for going around bouys / girls  are available  from TOP GUN FLIGHT SCHOOL sailing section  on application  at lauderdale canal (FLOATERS GROUP)    ………………………………………………………………………………………just sayn

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.