RC AIRCRAFT FLYING Flying @ “The Field” Flying @ the Field 2023 A Beautiful Tuesday for Flying

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

The spring weather in Tas was beautiful today (shorts & teeshirt weather) down at the field but it was only enjoyed by 4 (Gerald, Andrew, Scott & Mike) today (due primarily to the short notice).

The wind was a very light Easterly early and around lunchtime it swung first Southerly & then S/Westerly as it increased in strength.

Our resident cowboy “Mr Kermit” was missing today (chores to do – or not enough brownie points) so video of today will be sadly lacking as everyone was more intent on flying.

I did manage a couple of “Happy Snaps”

Andy “The Gentle Giant” tinkering with his glider

Scott “Fruit Loop” & Gerald “Sinker” deciding what mischief they should get up to

The Gentle Giant (Andrew) managed a hiccup & WoS with his foam board Spitfire, Scott had one hard landing with his “Wots Wot” biplane & I had one less than perfect landing with the “BumbleBee” but all in all a rather uneventful day.

It was my first flight with the BumbleBee after installing Vortex Generators

BumbleBee Vortex Generators (ex Grand Tundra)

to try and mitigate the Tip Stall problems and today at least the seemed to do their job perfectly. It flies much slower before tip stalling & simply disabling the AP allows for an almost instant spin stop & flight recovery. Early days yet but so far so good.

We finished up the day with the customary BBQ lunch

The BBQ (and not a frog in sight)

Onboard video from the Sonic64 EDF Wing

Onboard video from “BumbleBee”

The gentle giant crashing ………thats unheard  of   he never crashes   whats he up to  trying to take over my job    excellent  video Sinker the drone was just outa range if the boy had decided to chuck a sheep paddy at ya   I had  previously arranged to go to hootersville to pick up a 15ft ply halfcab runabout for my 12 yo grandson it needs repair so he will learn to use power tools  fibre glass paint etc plus the pride of ownership   and I couldnt change the day so a done deal   well done to predator for his videos always great to watch  woulda been nice to have caught up with fruity before he starts sailing as a new member of the floaters group……. One last question   who cut the snags ………………………………..just sayn

Kermit, Andrew didn’t crash! He was taken down by a huge savage Eagle (Ralph)…………………………..Just Sayn

Just expanding on the eagle situation yesterday, we missed you and your trusty camera Mr Frog. There were eagles galore yesterday, including Ralph & Mrs Ralph all enjoying the thermals that the glorious day brought with it.

There was also a newcomer, slightly smaller than Ralph (Sinker thought a falcon) and boy was he putting on a show with multiple loops and barrel rolls that would have put an aerobatic pilot to shame. I think he was trying to emulate FruitLoop’s biplane.

A good selection of pictures and videos by all.

Let’s just have a minutes silence for the dear departed planes.

I knew it I knew it  the giant just doesnt crash  an when the sinker said ralph was around  that was it… for that big buggar RALPH  takes my aircraft most fly days Sorry Mr ANDY for my out burst believing you wanted my spot    I also had a good day travelling to hootersville no problem with the boat getting it onto the trailer and bring it back home where bear an I started today on its restoration….but Idid miss my flying  ……. ……………………………………………………………..just sayn

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.