RC AIRCRAFT FLYING Flying @ “The Field” Flying @ the Field 2023 A Fine Spring Day @ the field

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

Well then, Saturday did indeed turn out to be the pick of the days weatherwise this week.

We had 5 pilots up & about today (Kermit, Gerald, Phil, Ricky & Mike) on what was a relatively calm & almost warm day.

Max temp was only 17 but with a lot of sun & no wind it generally felt warmer.

Ricky joined in the frivolities today (been a long while between drinks eh Ricky) and had his Bix 3, Limbo Dancer & his Beaver all up and about.

I think everyone else flew what they usually do except that I also had the Mavic Pro Platinum airborne for a quick shakedown before we head off camping in a few weeks.

We chose to pack up a bit earlier today as the Polo Pony club wanted to get in a bit of practice & as it was almost mid day before they arrived & got set up we opted to just leave them to it & head for home early rather than relocate to one of the other flying paddocks.

Kermit still managed to find time for the lunchtime BBQ & we headed home around 1PM.

IT WAS NICE to have the sinker talking to me after his ittie bittie accident last fly day  and to top it off we had   the pleasure of WICKY   flying with us he flew like he was a graduate of TOP GUN FLIGHT SCHOOL  even going as far as copying my ( scare the pants off  ) em take offs Unlike Predators inference about Wickys drinking I won’t allude to it We didn’t have the gentle giant flying with us today because he was preparing his paddock for sleeping in  due to a bit of name calling ………long story … we may see him next month  maybe  that is why I was able to film today’s events  (No crushed camera buttons )   A nice horsey lady came over an had a yarn  I asked if she knew  the Gentle Giant and his better half seems she does …even knew what andy calls her     gosh we were all gob smashed ……small world this horsey lot    I flew a glider today an forgot it had no ailerons  it was a quick flight  Dear ol fab found a spare paddock to play in dunno why when our big one was right in front of him all day  an were all still missing Sea Side Mitch ..I tried to persuade the crew into flying sunday but nope .. (I tried cobber )  Heres a thought  maybe MRS NAG  would consider letting ANDY PANDY  out to play on brownie points like Sea Side  there’s a thought 💭 WELL that’s about it hope i’ve given all a helpn hand no need to thank me ………………………………………………………………just sayn

My condolences  to the Predator arhhhh the famous tip stall We at  TGFS  have a coarse coming up on just this problem   I KNOW A FELLA that can get you in at mates rate…………………………………………..just sayn

Good weather pick Mike, and another top job on the barbie from Kermit.

Kermit, you have trained Wicky well on how to take off and land???

Your video is out in record time this week as well? What’s going on.

I had a good day, no crashes and no blades in my front or back…………………………………………………………………Just sayn

GOOD EVENING my dear MR SINKER  as to wickys take offs yes quite exciting at times  the boys gettin it an the video  yes indeedy because the buttons on the camera weren’t squashed  and the gentle giant didn’t get to the camera there was no  real editing to do  I haven’t as yet looked at your  lauderdale putt putt video im sure it will be somewhat tolerable to look at ……NARH  I can’t do it ……………………………………………………………………….just sayn

Good videos from all. I’ll be there next time

arhhh THE GENTLE GIANT has gone to the seaside mitch program  ie brownie points   We missed you andy  I might even let you pick up my camera….not to use it …just pick it up an if you ask humbly  the sinker might show you his  wound ……………………………………………………………..just sayn

I,ve learned so much from you Kermit,even perfected the inverted landing.Thankyou so much

WICKY  WICKY Always the gentleman  it was a pleasure to instruct  a near perfect pilot such as yourself  if you continually come and fly with the best the next lesson will be my famous landing spiral not to be fooled by the car spiral one  and lets not forget the infamous prop throwing hand launch  always a crowd pleaser……for some …not  ..     this awaits you dear boy …………………………………………………………..just sayn

After this weeks mishap with BumbleBee, (is that the 5th or the 6th time I’ve stalled it recently) and after a comment by someone at the field (does it always stall in the same direction) I thought perhaps I had better do some research.

After all the repairs & CF strengthening at least there has been no damage of late (other than broken folding prop blades) so that at least is good. Also, after the repairs (including re working a lot of the original repairs) the BumbleBee is actually flying better than ever.

Now back to the issue at hand, the stalling (tip-stalling or whatever you wish to call it).

After reviewing a lot of the BumbleBee videos it appears to always drop the left wing as it goes into its death spiral. Chris (Hoppy) had already pointed out to me that the AutoPilot always give full up elevator as the plane stalls & that I need to disable the AP to be able to recover. I also noted in the earlier crash videos (before I started killing the AP to recover) it also gives full right aileron deflection (opposite to the spin). This has no effect what so ever on counteracting the spin.

With the AP OFF, I have been applying full down elevator (which works to increase air speed) and full right Aileron, which does nothing, and according to some reading I have been doing actually makes it worse.

Next time, and I’m sure there will be a next time I will kill the AP, apply full down elevator but leave the ailerons at neutral and then when airspeed picks up give a bit of up elevator (to get away from the hard) and apply power at the same time. With luck it may just recover.

I am also 3D printing some vortex generators to fit to the outward 1/3 of each wing which is supposed to greatly soften the tip-stall characteristics.

A lot of this is purely supposition on my part so feel free to correct me if I am wrong and you know far more about the subject than I.

By the way Tuesday looks like another nice flying day (as does next Saturday) so I’ll put up the calendar at least for Tuesday.

Prop repaired & balanced & 3D printed Vortex generators installed.

Now to see what happens !!

3 of us went flying on Sunday yesterday, a Japanese with a Spitfire, an Italian with a Corsair and myself with a 3D Volantex Saber and my XK Toys S450 VTOL plane. Had a couple of Chinese bystanders. I had a bad day as crashed both mine. Pic of the Volantex in this video:

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.