RC AIRCRAFT BUILDS Electric Powered Another Biplane for the hanger

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

As luck would have it I managed to pick up a new unbuilt Durafly Hyperbipe biplane from RC Trader the other day, so another bipe gets added to the collection.

They were sold by HK about 5 years back and a guy in NSW had purchased one but never built it.

Anyway it duly turned up (undamaged) and has now, in between working on the Archer 650, it been assembled & set up ready for when we can access our flying field again after all this rain finally goes away. It uses an 800 to 1300mAh 3S battery and I’ve managed to find one in my collection here but if anyone has and spare 3S LiPo’s in the range of 800 to 1300 mAh I wouldn’t mind obtaining a couple more.

I bought a couple of these the other day for my new plane,

https://www.nextfpv.com.au/collections/lipo-battery/products/tattu-1300mah-3s-45-90c-lipo-battery-pack

Only one left!

Thanks Gerald, I bought the last one, and what NEW plane are you hiding away ?

Oh what a collection of goodies you must have by now , Mike!    I have tried to learn something that doesnt neeed much space….the Velocidrone simulator!   Very much the newby so far….

Yes Ian, I have disposed of a few but have 18 at the moment & just purchased the 19th (always a sucker for a new toy).

The latest is an Infinity V22 Osprey so that will be something decidedly different at the field when we get back to flying.

Hyperbipe repair 2023

After a minor mishap (hatch came off & stabiliser fell out) the Hyperbipe is all straightened out and ready to fly again.

The nose area needed to be removed to allow for repairs & straightening as it was almost turned inside out

however after some boiling water it was almost back to its correct shape.

After some straightening of the motor mount it along with the straightened nose pieces were glued back together and back onto the plane.

All good to fly again (and I taped the equipment hatch in place this time).

Once it has been test flown I’ll repaint the stripes on the nose to replace the water slide transfers that came off during repairs.

Looks good Mike!

Hyperbipe Mods.

The Durafly Hyperbipe is a great little biplane to fly and excellent for practising 3D flying however due to its super lite construction aggressive flying (along with a prang or two) tends to make the plane lose a lot of its original rigidity.

To counteract this I have added a 4mm solid CF rod to the lower wing for stiffness, this has been glued & taped in place between the two aileron servos & close to the COG.

I have also added dyneema braid to tie the top and bottom wings together through the wing supports and epoxy coated the foam supports for extra strength.

The landing gear has been removed as its not needed for either takeoff or landing and a 3d printed block fitted in its place just to give the prop a bit of ground clearance on landing.

The foam battery hatch (lost in flight) has been replaced with a 3d printed version with twist lock to secure rather that the original magnets that failed.

The cheap 9×5 plastic prop has been replaced with a decent Graupner 8×6 which seems to suit the plane far better

Currently painting in all the water transfers that have peeled off in some places and it will be good to fly again.

It may need another CF spar added to the upper wing if I still get wing flutter but hopefully now that the wing supports are much stronger it may not need it.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.