RC AIRCRAFT FLYING Flying @ “The Field” Flying @ the Field 2023 Another Mid Week Fly In

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

Today was not as forecast and in fact was very windy with stronger gusts as the day progressed.

It didn’t prevent anyone from flying and today we had a good turnout with Andrew & Rian joining the usual gang to make a flightline of 7 pilots.

As is often the case Kermit had a couple of those dastardly walks when things went awry & I also had one today after flying into the sun during a manoeuvre and then hitting the ground & removing the nose wheel of the “Li’l Eagle” biplane. Luckily, like Kermits planes, all can easily be repaired.

Ron had his almost complete 3d printed Zero for show and tell today. If when completed it flies as well as Gerald’s 3d printed Cub then I’m sure he will be a happy little vegemite. I neglected to get a photo of it but I’m sure Ron will post a couple with his days report.

My video from today,

This is the servo tester,

Nice videos. I hope to visit a RC club here this weekend. It’s a 4 hour drive each way and I hope you saw my traffic video a few days ago in last weeks thread.

What are the white posts for and I hope you are flying through them. Looks doable with fpv. And I hope someone can turn Rians cinequad footage into nice video..

Hoppy, it’s a polo field now, and no you don’t need FPV to fly through them, as Kermit demonstrated in this video a few weeks back.

Another fine video of the days antics Kermit, well done.

Well done Kermit, I enjoyed that, great editing!

Update on our president ON THAT SITE  ……………..Sinker dear boy  thank you for your kind words of  encouragement  im sure it was Ryan’s aerial video that pushed it past the post  an boy wasn’t that great flying  that lad is fantastic hope we can get more of this sort of joint video editing   the boy gave me his SD Card for the clip but there is an awful lot of previous flying from the other end of the field on the card we haven’t seen so if the mob wishes to see it i will produce  a  a few  vids  just let me know  now as for your video { My video from today,}  TOP GUN VIDEO EDITING  is conducting classes next week …………please apply ……..snicker snicker ………………………………just sayn  PS ….brilliant video predator  one day I shall be as good as you

Great videos from everyone.

BTW Kermit, I think you are easily as good as Pred. That last video of yours was FANTASTIC!

And thanks for the update on the President.

In fact Mr Gadget methinks Mr Frog is running rings around me in the video stakes of late. I will need to take some lessons from him.

After a dastardly landing that removed the nose wheel (and most of the nose) from “Li’l Eagle” she ended up once again looking a bit worse for wear.

Given that I had replaced the plywood servo/battery tray at least 3 times due to breakage I decided this time to 3D print one instead. Probably will break just as easily as the ply one but its a whole lot quicker, cheaper & easier to just print a new one rather than cutting one out of ply.

After a bit of gluing & patching she is good to fly again.

The Li’l Eagle looks pretty good in that photo Mike.

Speaking of repairing planes, I finally rebuilt a new fuselage for the cardboard beer carton Spitfire yesterday.  I was able to use the wings from the first build.

I was a bit light on empty beer cartons so not much variety in this montage.

Yes Ron, didn’t scrub up too bad.

Glad you got the Spitfire repaired, looks fine again. Ill find a video of it flying & add to the display list for Monday.

We did a 3.5 hour drive one way to Barradas Airstrip in Batangas Luzon Philippines. It was a windy day, over 20 kts and I was surprised at the good turnout. The oldest flyer at 86 was one of the best. All were good flyers, better than me and some great models. They pay young kids to help with starting their nitro planes and repairing them if they crash! Its an apprenticeship into full time maintenance careers.

No crashes this day apart from a couple of bent nosegear. Smooth grass bu the wind was challenging. One 3D plane came down hard and on my footage but was on long grass and no damage. One western guy (from Alaska) flying the rest all locals, many from Manila.

Hoppy, Is the “Sapphire International Aviation Academy” as good as Kermit’s “Top Gun Flight School”?

BIG NO   I don’t even know why you would ask that question Mr sinker  as a graduate of TGFS  you can easily see the flying standard isn’t nearly as good as our lot   shame dear boy shame ………….just sayn

I wasn’t asking you! ……………………… Just sayn

TGFS offers parachuting from a drone which is not on Sapphire’s curriculum but Sapphire trains Flight Attendants as well as pilots. Not sure that TGFS has a Flight Attendant school yet?

Dear foreign correspondent  HOPPY  yes in fact we at TGFS have been training flight attendants since starting at the new field  we just don’t call em flight attendants  WE CALL em  sheep 🐑 and you would be well aware of our outstanding training program including on the spot landing   unaided    and the best of the best can do  (with training ) landing some where .    Our past president was the best of the best at that   so dear HOPPY we at TOP GUN FLIGHT SCHOOL  pride ourselves on flying our way and sorta landing  anyway ya can    KERMIT LA FROG …manager / chief flight instructor  / president of   SAVE THE GREEN TREE FROG   charity  & 2IC of the flight line gang

MR SINKER SIR  with respect  narh forget that bit  I merely replied  on behalf of our famous foreign correspondent knowing that as a past flyer of the flight line gang his answer would be the same as mine  obviously  …………….just sayn  ps  you know where bricks come from  don’t you  Now no more cheek

Im thinking of getting a TX here to start flying in Philippines. Want a multi protocol TX with side sliders preferably that includes Spektrum DSM2/X and FRSky  ACCST or whatever their old protocol is. I can buy a Radiomaster TX12. Any good? Any other options?

Hoppy the TX12 uses the CC2500 module. it supports FrSky and a few others, but not DSM, you will need a radio with 4-in-1 module. like the Radiomaster Boxer (No sliders) or the TX16

What about the Jumper T18 Gerald?

Yep, that and the Jumper’s T12 and T16 also comes with a 4-in1 module option.

Hoppy, it just so happens that Dave W (Moo) has a Jumper T16 for sale as he is no longer flying. it has the MultiProtocol module built in (same as mine) and supports Spektrum & FRsky and many others.

Thanks for the info. I am Mode 1 and most TX’s here are Mode 2. Want to source here if I can.

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.