RC AIRCRAFT FLYING Flying @ “The Field” Flying @ the Field 2023 Another Thursday Fly In 13-04-2023

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Well we got the weather right again, it rained most of Wednesday (which was our other pick) but today turned out perfect, no wind, no rain, a balmy 19 degrees & even a bit of thermal activity for the gliders.

We has a good turnup today with Kermit (Linal), Predator (Mike), Seaside Mitch (Stephen), Gadget (Ron), Andrew, Fab (Phil) & Sinker (Gerald).

Everyone flew and apart from Fab bending his plane a bit out of shape & Andrew breaking a wing spar in his little Fox glider on its maiden flight I think everyone else went OK. Kermit’s video may well show otherwise as I often miss things around the field when concentrating on flying.

Later in the morning Fab had a fly of my Sky Shadow wing without incident (the stabiliser helps a lot for newbies) and also flew his micro Cessna (also with stabiliser fitted) without any problems.

I took some of the Sinker’s advice & upgraded the firmware in several of my iNav (F411 WSE) flight controllers to the latest V6. I had been running V4 for ever and thought it was pretty good but changing from V4 to V6 is a lot like chalk & cheese. I upgraded the Sky Shadow wing, the AR wing & the BumbleBee glider and all flew beautifully. I can now fly the BumbleBee or either Wing flat out a foot off the ground and know they will reliably stay there. Great fun.

Sinker was heading home to upgrade the rest of his fleet as he had only tried a couple at first but all went perfectly.

I didn’t get any “Around the Field video today (too busy flying) but I’m sure Kermit will have great coverage of all the action today.

I got some onboard footage from the BumbleBee and a tiny bit from the Draco. I was trying out new camera locations in the Draco but didn’t secure the new camera tray correctly so a lot of the footage was just the back of the pilots head or the side of the plane so today’s video is heavily edited.

Oh well better luck next time.

At least the Red Dragon flew beautifully & I did manage a few very smooth one wheel “touch & go’s”, Just hope Kermit got them on his handicam or headcam.

Now I better see what I can edit from the BumbleBee footage.

A great day flying today with perfect conditions and thanks to Kermit for cooking another delicious BBQ.

As discussed around the BBQ today, here is a link to the fibreglass sheets to help with 3D printing:

And here is an AU link to where they can be purchased.  I have ordered three to see how they go.

Artisan Supplies

Thanks, Ron. Have ordered some to try. Pink of course.

Well picked on the weather Mike!

No video from me today, to busy flying the big and little Cubs.

That is the problem Gerald, when it’s a good flying day everyone gets too busy flying & the video coverage goes down the gurgler.

Oh well, flying is what we are there for, the rest is just a bonus!!

Another superb production from the huge team & Toad Hall Productions, thanks Kermit.

So much action. Pretty soon we will need to appoint a Flight Controller !!

MY green offsider is available  he just sits there taking it all in ……FLIGHT CONTROLLER kermit   ….has a nice ring to it ………just a small annuity  for it ……………………………….just sayn

Another excellent production Mr Kermit. 😂👍

On reflection I shoulda called this video Gadgets day out     not quite same as ROLLING PINS but you get  the pun

Fab

Thanks for the help I received yesterday particularly Mike and thanks to Kermit for the BBQ.

Mike has kindly offered me some help with a stabiliser hopefully make the freeman a tad easier to handle. She is all back together and ready to go again.

Fab

No worries Fab, I have found a stabiliser here that we can use, I’ll set up what I can here & we can finish the fine tuning on site at flying next day out.

Fab

Great stuff Mike, I would be happy to bring it over to you if you like and save burning up your flying time at the field setting it up etc, your call.

Thanks in advance.

That will be ok Phil, won’t take long to setup so drop up if that suits you.

I’ll be here today till around 5:00pm and should be about most of the weekend as well as I don’t think its going to be much of a sailing day on Saturday.

Fab

There will be no sailing this weekend. Fairly flexible tomorrow what time would suit you.

Fab.

Between 10:00 and 12:00 would suit me best, have to go out after lunch.

Fab

Hi Mike, I could drop over 10:30 – 11:00.

No worries, that will be fine.

Bring the plane, the radio & the battery so we can make sure it all fits & works OK.

Thursday was just – fantastic! A great day flying all my planes and listening to the stories and all the new planes. I think Mike’s Dragon looks like a terrordactyl – What a machine!

Viewing 10 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.