RC BOATING YACHTING DF65’s & DF95’s Sailing @ Triabunna DF65 Orford Sailing Group

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Further to the post “A new pond to sail on” I was put into contact with Dav Read a couple of weeks back, who after a couple of phone calls invited me to Orford to have a sail on their pond.

It was a great morning with all the guys present making me feel very welcome. The pond was initially built to supply water for the now defunct golf course and would be equal to if not slightly larger than Puddleduck. The shoreline is very rocky but has a ledge where boats can be launched and retrieved with aid of gum boots. At the time of writing Dav has been in contact with the land owner to dig a small channel to lower the pond level equal to the rocky ledge. Dav also made mention that he was going to have a crack at building a platform so that gum boots wouldn’t be compulsory.

Access to the pond is on private land and was a little challenging due to the road being washed out in places, but I believe the land owner is looking at rectifying this. There is plenty of parking at the pond however a small walk to the launch site would be required.

Dav and I remain in contact and we hope to bring both groups together in the future, maybe a Saturday. Of course the offer to sail is reciprocal for the guys up the coast to sail at Puddleduck.

I will keep you all updated

Bodge

Now that’s a nice size pond ay how long did it take to get to orford boodge   should be a good place for a bbq how many sailors in the group what boats do they sail what days do they sail  ….do they have their own Admiral ?…………………just say

Thanks for the write up Bodge, it was great to have you up here sailing with us.  Some of our guys are already making cameo appearances at Puddleduck, and it’s good to see some movement between the two groups.  The Orford group are informal and 5 or 6 strong.  Sailing days are dependent on weather and usually coincide with visits from members who have shacks in the area.  As stated by Bodge, “The Pond” is a great sailing location and will be greatly improved after we have a local contractor stabilize the water level – this will expose the natural rocky ledge surrounding the pond allow us to set courses from all sides, to take advantage of the prevailing wind.  These works will take place shortly following which we will be offering a general invitation to “The Ducks” to join us for a sail and barbeque.  We communicate and arrange events via “WhatsApp” – if anyone is interested in keeping tab on our movements, I’ll be happy to send you a link to the WhatsApp “Orford Radio Sailing Group” if you send me an email.

Dav (daveonboard@outlook.com) (0407518171)

Hi there Kermit, approx 1 hour from Puddleduck to the entrance to the pond, give or take frog travelling time … hop to it 😂

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.