RC AIRCRAFT FLYING Flying @ “The Field” Flying @ “The Field” 2020 Friday Fly-In @ The Field (18th September 2020)

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

It still may not quite be summer but it sure was a fine spring day @ The Field today. The paddocks are drying out (although a couple still managed to run their swampies) and everything is looking nice & green & fresh.

We had 8 pilots in attendance today & although there were some new (or recently modified) planes being tested there were no prangs today (except for Ricky’s Limbo Dancer & a tree – no damage) and everything went home in one piece.

Kermit had several good and uneventful flights with his FunCub but the maiden of his low wing “Fly Baby” didn’t go according to plan. We tried a 3S & a 4S battery pack but still not enough power. I think it may be a bit like my Pitts Special was initially and need a larger diameter or more aggressively pitched prop as it is a quite low reving motor.

I gave Ian’s Mini Convergence VTOL plane a bit of a workout and while it flies perfectly well in normal mode, when in hover mode it continually drifts in reverse even with full forward applied to the sticks.

Either a balance issue or else the replacement motor tilt servos have been set at the incorrect angle when re assembling.

I was very pleased with the way both the Stearman bipe & BumbleBee glider flew today after a fair bit of work on both during the week. That’s two more that can be ticked off as completed projects. Now to get the Pitts Special back in the air.

Here is my Drifter and I added machine guns to it.

Here is some aerobatics with my Cloud AXN:

Well done to the president in picking a nice day.

Yes the Pres picked a ripper of a day,and yes that was a bit embarrassing. Thanks Mike🙂

Here’s my couple of video’s from today.

Mike, not everything went home in one piece, BA’s swampy didn’t look that good last time I saw it!

Regarding the tilt rotor just mechanically adjust the 2 front blades so they are tilted more forward. I did that to mine with hovering indoors to test.

Thanks Chris, I thought that may have been the issue as Ian’s are actually tilted a long way back and not straight up at all.  Just wanted to check the on line manual before fiddling with it .

Well after that mammoth video effort (along with all the FunCub flying) I think the Frog should be nominated for News Cameraman of the day. Not only was his camera pointing in the right direction to capture Ricky’s demise with a tree & the rather hard chopper landing, his camera was in focus to boot. Quite a lot of nice aerial shots as well. Well done my little Froggy mate!!!.

One devil of a job.

THE VIDEO BOARD MEMBERS HAVE DECIDED  THAT THE TITLE OF MR VIDEO FOR THIS WEEKS FLYING  GOES TO …………………UNCLE  G  FOR FLYING AT THE FIELD    FOR THE IN FLIGHT VIDEO ……GOES TO  THE STEARMAN  PREDATOR   AS USUAL ALL COMPLANTS WILL BE LOOKED INTO …………………….ha ha ha

My bit:

In my opinion the onboard Swampy footage ( especially when following Chris’s Swampy through the everglades) is worthy of a special National Geographics award for this week.

Would do Mr Attenborough proud.

yes i agree but in our instance there is no award for swamp thingies    :  president video board

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.