RC BOATING YACHTING Builds New kid on the block

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Just happened to be in the right place at the right time when a lovely gentleman was looking for a new home to donate his RC yacht to. Never being one to look a gift horse in the mouth, I readily accepted.

The yacht, which is in immaculate condition and built with all the best IOM components including an RMG 280ES sailwinch, appeared to be an IOM fitted with a B rig & whilst the rig indeed measures as an IOM “B” the hull is 60mm too long by my calculations (1060mm rather than 1000mm).

It was fitted with a 26mhz AM radio that didn’t appear to control the RMG winch but worked the rudder OK so it was promptly removed and replaced with a 2.4ghz Turnigy Rx to connect with my usual yachting radio. That and a new battery soon had all working as it should and ready for a test sail this weekend.

Being a gifted rather than a built or rebuild boat that I had spent considerable time on, I didn’t have a name at hand, and we all know boats MUST have names, but after a bit of head scratching “Imposter” was deemed appropriateĀ  and it was shorter than my first choice “Knot’n’IOM” .

Anyway hopefully tomorrow will be a nice day & “Imposter” will sail well. I’ll try this week with its supplied “B” rig and if all goes to plan I’ll put my “A” rig (from Wedgie) on next outing.

After several successful outings with the supplied “B” sails it was time to try with an “A” set.

I had a couple of spare IOM “A” sail sets and a spare mast and boom so only needed the appropriate fittings to put it all together.

The parts order from the Radio Sailing Shop took over 2 weeks to arrive even though Andrew posted it the day after receiving the order (what is Aust Post delivery time going to be like once the Christmas rush starts?)

Anyway it arrived earlier this week and after a bit of messing around an “A” sail set has been duly assembled & fitted, ready for testing tomorrow (Saturday 8th) if the weather is acceptable.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.