RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2024 Peter Smith Memorial Regatta 2.3.24

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

PETER SMITH MEMORIAL REGATTA 2024

DF65s – Puddleduck Vineyard

Saturday 02.03.2024

What a great day at Puddleduck Vineyard today for sixteen keen skippers to contest the annual Peter Smith Memorial Regatta for DF65s.

It was a coolish overcast day with the sun attempting to break through the clouds at various times throughout the day. The wind at the start wasn’t the forecast 10-15 knt south westerly, it was a light variable 0-3 knts from the north west. This did change throughout the day to south west gusting upto 15 knts, which could only be described as variable and from all points of the compass.

Lisa, the designated PRO for the day, did a great job rallying the troops with races, course changes and organising breaks. Gadget had kindly 3D printed a whistle for her and she certainly put it to great use. From memory I can only remember three general recalls at the start with a few over exuberant skippers called back for jumping the start, myself included.

Sixteen races were completed within our allotted time today with no dropped race results. David “Jammy” Jones was always going to be hard to beat and it was of no surprise he took out first place with 5 race wins, 3 x 2nd placings, and 3 x 3rd places. His worst result was 8th in R1 and R15. Extremely well sailed Jammy 😊

After 15 races were held, second and third place getters Phil “Smiling Assassin” Turnball, and Ian “Bodge” Hey were tied on 70 pts. Phil took home second place after winning the last race, with Bodge coming in third. Both skippers had 3 race wins a piece. Well sailed Phil 😊

Other minor prize winners today included:-

·       Most Improved over the past 12 months – Andrew Thomas

·       Best Sportsmanship on the day – Nathan Arnold

·       Last place (after completing all races) – David Poon

We also had a Boat Stand up for grabs, kindly made and donated by Gerald “Sinker” Stevens. Thank you Gerald 😊. To be eligible you had to be using a standard Joysway Stand. The names were placed in a hat and Nick from Puddleduck drew out Malcolm Patton, who is in Hobart for six months of the year, alternating between Vancouver Washington DC. I am sure you will get good use out it Malcolm. 😊

To all the other skippers, it was one of the best days on the water I have experienced with penalties completed without fuss. I am hoping that Lisa has blown her whistle to bits as she certainly gave it a great try out today (only joking Lisa), you did a fantastic job.

To Mike “Predator” Holbrook (rescue dinghy & media), and David “Sheep” Woolley (scorer and results) thank you both for volunteering your time today, it was greatly appreciated by everyone that attended. To Graeme Cooksie, thank you for your assistance in moving and cleaning the buoys yesterday, and I can’t forget Ron “Gadget” Cullen who did the majority of the organising behind the scenes before flying out to Fiji yesterday, thank you 😊 we can assure you that the slices you provided were keenly gobbled up very quickly, with only a few crumbs left.

To Puddleduck (Darren, Jackie, Sue, Nick and all the staff), THANK YOU 😊

Ian “Bodge” Hey

There was only one hook up on the fountain and who else but “Bloody Geoff”

More images from the day’s racing can be found here.

Another great day out at da duck!
      Thank you to all the great people who made it a successful event today, it keeps getting better every year and with the wonderful Puddleduck management support we are so lucky to have, it will likely continue to do so.

Thank you to all skippers on your impeccable behaviour it made my job a delight.

Well done Jammy a class above enjoy your wine you deserve it

Thank you to Sheep what a inconspicuous and seamless effort you made with the hardest job of the day, scoring, any time you are a pro at this.

Big congrats to Bodge awesome effort stepping up, big shoes to fill after all the years of Colin’s running the event.

There is no doubt the puddles

fraternity has a great culture and wonderful coffee.

Thank you Lisa, you have given a lot back to our little group and it is much appreciated.
        I never dreamed 5 years ago it would grow to the success it now has reached. The friendships that have developed in the time is even greater. Thank you all.

Thank you Lisa , it was a pleasure.

That was a magnificent write up Bodge and congratulations for third place along with Jammy and Phil for first and second.

I’m glad the slices went down well and Lisa got some use from the 3D printed whistle.

You almost make me wish I was there today however….

Oh wow, tough life 😂 ….. enjoy

I guess somebody has to do it. Just grin and bear it mate!

A big thank you to Lisa, Sheep and Mike (2 rescues for me) and all the mob at Puddleduck for making it such an enjoyable day. Congratulations to Jammy, Phil and Bodge in giving us all a lesson in how to be consistent. I thought Peter Ross sailed some excellent races as well. To all the regulars at Puddleduck many thanks for making my time with you so enjoyable. A special thanks to Gadget (glad to see you’re getting good weather) for providing me with a boat for the time of my stay. I’m sorry I couldn’t do your boat more justice, but you will hear some of my stories about getting caught on buoys six times and probably being accused of creating general havoc. However it was all good fun and there were lots of laughs. I will be returning to Puddleduck for a longer period next summer so I look forward to renewing friendships and amicable rivalry.

It’s been a pleasure to have you with us David, we look forward to your return.

Great write up Bodge and excellent friendly day. Thanks to Puddleduck management and staff for the venue.

Photos & videos from the Peter Smith Memorial Regatta 2024 are now on line. (added to original post)

Thank you Mike for the photos and video coverage, it was greatly appreciated 😊👍

ps certainly enjoyed the footage from water level, nice work 👍

Below is a comment (via YouTube – Additional Footage video) from an Irish Sailor. Seems like he also liked the Water Level shots as well

@keithmander3177
          2 hours ago
          I have a Sigma 38 OOD racing in the Irish Sea (UK)- and I find this video amazing.

What a great competition, what great sailors. As tight if not tighter than any “Round the Cans” full size racing that we do. Superb mark roundings. Up wind beating looks dramatic. Starts are spot on incredibly competitive.

Thank you for great video.

Great day, thankyou to everyone that was involved. Hope to be back next year.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.