RC AIRCRAFT BUILDS Electric Powered Pitts Special biplane – upgrade

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

After the less than successful first attempt at flying the recently acquired 800mm Pitts Special biplane, mainly due to lack of power, I have done a couple of upgrades.

The landing gear failed on the first attempt (after all our flying field [sheep paddock] is a tad rough) as did the bottom of the fuselage holding the landing gear attached.

The floor area has now been replaced with a slightly heavier grade of modelling ply and the wheel struts & wheels (larger diameter & width) replaced also. Hopefully strong enough now.

Now for the power issue.

Motor is an RC Smart EVO 1084kv outrunner swinging a 2 blade prop.

Original      –   8 x 4 prop – Output was 100W @ 8.4A WOT

Upgrade 1  –   8 x 6 prop – Output was 120W @ 10.oA WOT ~ Not much improvement

Upgrade 2 – 9.5 x 6 prop – Output was 140W @ 12.0A WOT ~ Slightly better

Upgrade 3 -11 x 7.5 prop – Output was 190W @ 17.0A WOT ~ Much better – almost double the output.

Bottom is original prop, top is current prop

Upgrade 3 is what I will be trialling but if its too aggressive I’ll get a 10 x 6 & try that.

Research has shown that the 850mm Eflite brand EPO foam Pitts Special, using an 880kw motor & 40A ESC (on 3S or 4S) spins a 11 x 7 prop so my selection should be in the ballpark.

Added a bit of Pitts branding (because I can) & she is good to go once the weather improved (hopefully)

CG should be about 65mm back from top LE. Wednesday forecast looks ok.

Yes, may be OK, light rain after lunch only & very light winds.

Could be a goer.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.