RC AIRCRAFT BUILDS Electric Powered Predators First build for 2022

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • #10073

      I picked the 2.6 metre TechPod FPV plane up this morning from Jason after he had kindly brought it down from Launceston for me.

      It was all still in the original packaging of Outer & Inner cardboard boxes,


      with all components still sealed is their plastic bags & taped into the box.


      It took a little while to unpack it all but there is no damage evident & all parts appear to be there.

      As it is a kit there are no electronics, servos etc but all the other required hardware appears to be there.  I’ll download the plans later today (none supplied) and start ordering what I haven’t got already in stock.

      Here are some pics from the TechPod website.  It should be an interesting build.

    • #10074
      Uncle G

      That looks interesting.

      • #10075

        Yes, interesting is one way to describe it.

        I found the build instructions on line but they don’t look that easy to follow. Suspect that their listed 5 hour build time will quickly expand into 15 or 20 hours.

        Anyway it will be something to keep me amused during the next lockdown !!

    • #10101

      I missed flying today as we were supposed to be going fishing but unfortunately it got cancelled at the last minute.

      Rather than waste a day I decided to start building the TechPod. When I first looked at the build instructions they appeared to be lacking a lot of clarity, once assembly starts you soon realise just how bad they really are.

      Anyway I’m in no hurry so just plodding along.

      First part was to build the fuselage & its now coming along nicely.

      The parts were identified & assembled without glue just to make sure it was right.

      This is the “Wing Box” that holds the wing CF rod & also the CF tail boom

      Now with the vertical brace & motor mount in place (still not glued)

      Time to epoxy it all together

      Then fit it to the EPO Foam fuselage & install the tail boom

      Now waiting for the fibreglass reinforcing around the motor mount to cure before more assembly.

      The fibreglass reinforcing for the motor mount has now been installed and the tail boom epoxied in place. Next job is to fit the T Tail tail plane/rudder/elevator however I have found some upgrades online consisting of some 3D printed parts that allow for easy assembly/removal of the tailplane assembly so I have downloaded the files & will print the 3 parts tomorrow and see how it all goes together before simply epoxying the assembly in place.

    • #10115

      Unfortunately I didn’t get a lot done on the TechPod build today as we had visitors for most of the afternoon.

      The 3D printed mods were of no real benefit (as I don’t need to remove the tail for transport) and just added more weight to the tail area.

      I did manage to get the tail assembly built & epoxied in place (including the elevator servo).

      Hopefully will install the motor & rudder servo tomorrow then should be able to glue the main pod together & finally move onto the wings.

    • #10129

      Unfortunately the motor I was hoping to use won’t fit & all the other spares I have are either not powerful enough or have the mounting on the wrong end & are not reversible.

      To that end I have at least made the adaptor plate to fit modern motors to the mount in the TechPod (which has wider spacing) & have ordered an appropriate motor capable of spinning a 12″ prop @ < 30 amps. The specified E-Flite Power 10 was around $130.00, the cheapie I got from Banggood was over $100.00 less.

      Managed to find enough new or used servos (6 required) in my various stashes so now the elevator & rudder are fully functional and the Wing build is under way.

      The wing needs some very slight mods to fit standard 9gm servos as they are just a wee bit taller than the specified Hitech ones (but a hell of a lot cheaper.

      The left wing has been modified to fit the servos & now just need to extend the servo wires by a metre or so then the wing can be assembled.


      I won’t glue the pod together until the motor arrives & is installed but at least the wings can be completed and decorated appropriately.

      A great way to pass a couple of rainy days !!

    • #10134

      Still plodding along slowly (no need to rush as the motor wont be here for several weeks) and the left wing is now complete, fitted with servos for ailerons & also flaps, CF brace, etc.

      Tomorrow, if not fishing, I’ll start the right one.  It’s a bit of stuffing around as the servo leads need to be significantly lengthened (no room for plug in extensions in the slimline wings) and then tack glued in very precisely so that the wing covers (over the CF braces, wiring etc) will fit flat.

      The wings are designed to be removable when completed but hopefully it will fit in the Outback with wings attached. The ASW28 just fitted & the wingspan on that was almost identical.

    • #10146

      Got the RHS wing fitted up with servos & CF bars today so that is about if for this build until the motor arrives.

      Also started on the Livery

      Will add some coloured tips to the wings & tail as well as some stripes on the wing bottoms for better visibility then it will be back in the box till the motor turns up, hopefully by the time we return from our Annual West Coast camping trip for Australia Day.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.