RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2023 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing 03/10/23

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Blustery 15 – 20 knot North-Westerly conditions greeted skippers for today’s DF95 racing at Puddleduck Vineyard. Some had pre-rigged their boats with A-rigs but it was quickly decided that it was a B-rig day. Henry Finnis who still has his B-rig on order from Hobby Warehouse decided to ‘protect the asset’ today and elected to do Race Officer duties rather than sail. Thanks for your work on this Henry – it is always best to have an official when conditions are windy.

The figure – 8 course provided us with a long enough race – which is important when the boats are travelling fast. Sudden gusts made concentration really important as split second errors proved costly. Missed buoys were common and one (nameless) skipper even parked his boat on the fountain when he was leading!

It was one of those days when it was difficult to pick the winner prior to the official computer’s tally. Certainly my prior guesses were way wrong! There were only 2 points separating the ‘medal-winners’.

Third place today went to The Smiling Assassin – Phil Turnbull who with three race wins and two second places might feel a bit like he was robbed of a better position overall.

Second went to Phil Jackman who had three consecutive race wins early in the program dashing his handicap a bit.

Today’s winner was Jammy who was a bit surprised I think to claim the day but it does demonstrate how consistency is the real key to series sailing. Congratulations Jammy.

After today’s results tally and coffee most stayed on for lunch at the café. I reckon that those pies are top notch and the occasional lunch with the crew is an excellent idea too.

Shorty

Certainly an eventful morning on the Puddleduck dam. Doing the Race Officer bit was a good opportunity to learn more new things. Leaving my DF95 firmly in its berth (aka my other half’s AUDI!) was definitely a good decision having no B rig available yet. Hopefully to be rectified in reasonably short order!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.