RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2023 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing 07/03/2023

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Strong winds were forecast for today’s DF95 event at Puddleduck. In two years of sailing at the vineyard I have never before had to use a B-rig, but, today was the day! In fact all seven skippers chose to rig their B’s and we set out to battle the conditions as well as each other.

Today we welcomed new skipper, ‘Flash’ Bruce Palmer. Bruce purchased Dave Woolley’s DF65 this morning but stayed to race against the 95’s on the dam. He showed us that he knows a bit about sailing by winning race 4. In fact I reckon that anyone who completed races under today’s conditions is no mug with the tiller.

The wind steadily increased throughout the morning to ballistic strength by race 7 when cat’s-paws and whirl-winds were dropping from above. Maintaining direction and just staying upright were the necessary art-forms! Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour and it was at this stage that the consensus was to draw stumps and head inside for coffee while all boats were still intact.

Receiver problems prevented Dave Poon from completing the series but otherwise all skippers won a race. (A good demonstration of the handicap system at work!)

The (internationally recognised) points system that we use for tallying the series gives skippers one discard if 4 races have been sailed, two discards if 8 races have been sailed, and three discards if 12 races have been sailed etc. So with only 7 races today there has been just 1 discard.)

Third place overall today went to Dave Woolley. I have been absent the last couple of months waiting for a new hull to arrive and so I am totally impressed by the improvement that Sheep has made in his racing. 5 podium finishes and a 4th place to complete an striking scorecard!

Trout took second place after looking totally comfortable in the demanding conditions.

And it was Ian Hey who stole victory honours today with lots of second places on the scorecard. There was only one point separating first from second, and a further point separating second from third. Well done to all!

Shorty

Thanks for another great write up Shorty, glad to see you back at the PD pond 👍

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.