RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2023 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing 31/01/2023

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

It’s been more than four years since we last checked our buoys and I was surprised to discover just how well they have held up since then. Cleaned and refurbished by the team, they were back in the water and ready well in advance of our start time.

A few of our staunchest members were unable to be with us today. Graeme and Sue were down channel with the grandies, Don had a dental appointment and Gadget had family arriving from all parts of the world to visit. Sounds like a good reason to go sailing Gadget!

Todays sailing was a lot of fun and very even with six different winners over the eight races held.

We had Bruce Palmer #99, newly retired Optometrist and experienced sailor come to visit today and despite never having held a transmitter before, he did really well. Welcome to our friendly little mob Bruce, there’s a few of our lot could have really done with your services today though.

I’m thinking here of the Admiral #23. Despite having good boat speed and winning the first race of the day, the poor old bloke kept missing (the new) #3 buoy, four times!!

The Smiling Assassin #32 had a crack at reaching the Admirals high bar but fell short, only missing the same buoy three times. Better luck next time Phil.

Bloody Geoff #80 was a close runner up with two also. A real kangaroo day for our Geoff, his best a second in race three.

Spare a thought for our mate Sheep #37, after doing some great work removing bulrushes on the other side of the pond, his yacht gave him grief with sheet and electrical problems. Life can be so unfair at times.

A slow start saw our Bodge #06 muddling around down in the fourths and fifths. Can’t keep a good man down though and shortly after he put the foot down taking four podiums in the last five races. Top effort.

Great to see Lisa #35 back pondside again and sailing well. Our DF65 National champion might have left her run a little late today though with her three podiums that included the top step in the last race.

Another good sailor having a patchy day was our Fab #17. The light conditions foxed our Fab for a few races before slamming a strong second in race five and cruising along nonchalantly thereafter.

Jammy #39 marked his territory early with a victory in the second, two more podiums then another victory in the sixth. Well sailed Jammy and congratulations on a fine piece of sailing.

Scrooge RG#08 was the only boat from the light weight open design class with us today. Sailing against the DF A+ rigs in the very light conditions, his swing rigged greyhound found little joy. All that changed with a fresh change pushing through midmorning to once more set the green machine free.

It just wasn’t Trout’s #11 day. So often living up at the pointy end, our Phil found most places where the wind wasn’t today.  Just three podiums for our champion, saving his only first place for todays penultimate race seven.

Todays winners:

Combined classes – Scrooge #08

DF65 only – Jammy #39

RG only -Scrooge #08

Congratulations to our successful skippers and a big thank you to our group’s volunteers for putting in a great effort to tidy up our favourite venue. The best DF65 pond in Tasmania is now looking a treat thanks to your efforts. Lisa has kindly offered to PRO our upcoming Peter Smith Memorial Day and she came out early also to assist with course layout, thank you Lisa.

Cheers

Admiral

After our conversation re weights of boats, I weighed my brand new boat to discover it was 52 grams overweight!!

This has opened an interesting topic in our group. Sheep tells me his is 1335 grams!
        Will post mine later but as it’s a new hull I’m suspecting it will be over by heaps too.

Yep, mine is 1280. Probably the light weight Icarex sails making a difference there.

My boat came in at 1302 on the water

No battery

1307 g  ready for water A+   V5

Sixteen weights recorded so far, thank you everyone who has sent theirs in. The more data we can add the better and more definitive the results will be.  To add your yacht data to the mix please send the weight of your DF65 with A+ rig on and battery installed, ie as if ready to put in the water. Include the version of your hull and battery type/weight too so that these can be taken into account.
      Kitchen scales are fine as weights can be confirmed at our next DF65 meeting when I bring along a set of digital scales and a jig made for the task.

I have sms’s Admiral, but to add to the conversation.
      My yacht is a V6, and weighs in at 1312 with Onbo 800mAh LiFe battery

With the pink Icarex rig my V6 weighs, ready to sail, 1291 gms and my V5 weighs 1307 gms. Both hulls have the cheap original type sail winch.

Hi Col, I have a V6 and Zippy 700 Life battery weighs in at 1342 grams.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.