RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2023 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing 4th April 2023

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

It was difficult to describe the wind at the vineyard today. Perhaps ‘0 – 10 knots swirling from all compass directions’ would cover it, or may be best just to say – ‘challenging conditions’ and leave it at that. You certainly needed to have a fair share of ‘duck luck’ to do well. I think that most skippers had the experience of going from 1st to last or vice versa with a sudden wind shift. Raft-ups and buoy snares were common today too!

The overall results contained a few surprises as well! Fab Phil Watkins and Dave Wooley scored two race wins each yet managed only 7th and 8th overall! But well sailed by both.

Third and forth places in the overall standings were separated by countback. I managed to steal third spot from Trout by virtue of more second places.

That ‘Smiling Assassin’ Phil Turnbull was perhaps the most consistent skipper of us all and gained second spot overall by virtue lots of thirds and 4ths.   (Good handicap management that too!)

Today’s winner was again Jammy! I really thought that Jammy had burnt his chips early in the day and would be out of contention but he came home well in the last races finishing with two seconds and a race win. Well done Jammy!

We had a couple of guests today too. Andrew Thomas is a regular with the radio flyers but turned up today with one of Gadget’s DF65’s. Gadget brought his other DF65 so he could give Andrew’s company. The smaller boats struggled a bit against the larger DF95’s. With a 45 second handicap it did look at times that they might get away but the DF95 is just a quicker boat.

The other guest was Henry Finnis. Henry’s DF95 arrived in yesterday’s mail and he did not have quite enough time put it together. (It does take a while to assemble these boats.) He has already put in his membership application, so we welcome you to the group Henry and hope to see your boat racing with us next fortnight.

Well challenging it was, and perhaps even frustrating but still a lovely sunny day and always fun to sail at Puddleduck.

Shorty

Please note someone left a Fly Sky transmitter at Puddleduck. it is with the good folk at reception

Now who would be silly enough to leave their transmitter behind$ Ooooo0ooooo Now, where is my transmitter? Oh dear!

Nice work Shorty 🤪

A pleasure to have met with the Group last week. I’m very much looking forward to sailing with everyone. The boat’s now ready to sail – now all I need do is learn all about RC sailing!

Fab

Hey, did anyone see a plastic lid to a df 95 today at the duck, mine is still there somewhere.

Hi Phil. I went down back to Puddleduck this morning to pick up my transmitter! Could have run over that hatch cover as I swung in to the carpark – didn’t. Could have stepped on it in my great big boots – didn’t. But it was right by my feet as I got out of the car. Still in perfect order! I have got it now and will bring it out for you next fortnight. If you want to get it sooner then give me a call. 0400 744 231.

Cheers Shorty

Fab

That was very lucky, thanks for letting me know and picking it up. Next fortnight will be fine. Cheers mate.

Viewing 3 reply threads
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.