RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2023 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing DF65/RG65 04/07/2023

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Puddleduck Sailing โ€“ RG/DF65s 04.07.23

An overcast cold morning of 10 deg (felt like 3 deg) greeted 13 keen skippers to take their boats to the pond with barely a whiff of breeze.

Gadget and Bodge debated the initial course setting finally settling on a figure 8 course, with 2 laps in mind. The starting gun started with about a third of the fleet over the line. Bloody Geoff was a good boat length over the line, but we gave him a seniorโ€™s discount and the race continued. Just donโ€™t count on it next time Geoff, we will be watching more closely ๐Ÿ˜Š.

It was a bit of a drifter and we managed to complete the course in 20 minutes, and with that in mind we shortened the second race to miss the bottom two buoys on the second lap with the treacherous fountain a rounding mark before the finish line. I am very pleased to report that no-one mounted the fountain (even Bloody Geoff missed it! ๐Ÿ˜Š, but he did miss some other marks).

Gadget was keen to throw the temporary buoy in between marks 2 & 3 as the little wind we had decided to die out. So, a new shortened course was deployed and of course the wind came back in but it did allow us some quick close races. Poor Sue had her hands full with Bonnie (the ferocious guard dog) on her lap trying to record the finishing boats that you could throw a handkerchief over. Nice work Sue ๐Ÿ˜Š

We managed seven races in total with six individual skippers taking line honours in the combined classes results. Mr Frothie was the only skipper to have 2 wins and ended up winning the day on 18 points. Well sailed Matty. Second place went to Trout on 20 points, who sailed extremely well considering he was seated for most of the day still recovering from surgery and third place was tied between the Admiral (Ret) and Cookie (RG65) on 21 points. Well sailed!

In the DF65 only class, it was a very tight finish with only 2 points separating the first 3 places. Mr Frothie took the honours with 16 points, second Trout on 17 points, and Admiral (Ret) on 18 points.

There was also some great competitive sailing in the middle to the rear of the fleet with only consistency being an issue for a lot of us, but lack of wind in certain areas didnโ€™t help either.

In amongst our skippers today we had Ray and Dav from Orford Sailing Group trying out their new A+ rigs before heading off back up the coast to seek out warmer weather. Good to see you guys, you are more than welcome to join us anytime.

Overall, it was another entertaining and enjoyable morning with the usual banter during sailing and over a hot beverage. Thank you again to Puddleduck staff for making us feel so welcome.

See you all next time,

Bodge

Wow Bodge! That report is so well written, I want to go out and do it all again!!!ย  Thank you ๐Ÿ™‚

The videos are taking ages to upload today so I will leave out some of the larger ones. Unfortunately, I ran out of space on the SD card in my hat cam and missed out on most of the last race โ˜น

Hat cam video Race 1:

Hat cam video Race 4:

Hat cam video Race 6:

Great write up and video Bodge and Gadget.
      Despite the brass monkeys it was a good day out @ da Duck. Well done duckers!!
      Thank you Sue for your fantastic work in keeping the rabble in order and honest once again, we much appreciate your contribution!

Great videos Gadget ๐Ÿ‘ nice work yet again ๐Ÿ˜

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.