RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2023 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing DF65/RG65 06/06/2023

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Puddleduck Sailing – RG/DF65s 06.06.23

The forecast for Puddleduck today was for clear sky, light northerly breeze of approximately 3-4 knts. Sounded good eh? Nine skippers fronted up today to be greeted with light showers and absolutely no wind!

The Puddleduck crew took pity on us oldies and opened half the deck so at least we could stay dry which was greatly appreciated.

There were a few skippers missing today, Trout having an operation on his hip, hope it all went well Trout, might be a while before we see him running around again, lets hope he has a speedy recovery. Scrooge’s presence had been requested to the RYCT today and he kindly lent his RG65 to me since I am in the process of attempting to build a strip planked RG65. I then brought sheep out of DF65 retirement and lent my DF65 for him to sail. Poor Sue had to contend with different skippers with different boats. It was also great to see Rod Marshall back at the pond with his DF65, great to have you back Rod.

With a few boats launched onto the pond there was a very slight whiff of a breeze that would intermittently come and move the fleet a couple of meters before dying out again. That was enough for us to think let’s have a race.

Gadget thought we should launch the temporary buoy between buoys 2 and 3 and have a shorten course back to the start finish line. “Yep let’s do it” was the consensus and Gadget was on his way to the opposite side of the pond. He started swinging the buoy around his head numerous times so much that we thought he was going to lift off, before letting go nearly taking Bloody Geoff’s boat out in the process. Deciding that it wasn’t positioned correctly he hauled it back in to have another go. I reckon he wanted another crack at Geoff’s boat! 😊

With course set we decided for two laps….. 50 minutes later we had finished!!! I decided the next race should only be one lap but failed to tell anyone until just before Graeme and I crossed the line …. Whoops, sorry chaps. In the end we only managed three races before calling it quits and headed off for coffee, hot chocolates, and mulled wines.

In the overall wash up Gadget and Rod M (Cactus 81) tied for third place with gadget taking third on countback, with Sheep sailing 006 coming in second, with yours truly with Scrooge’s RG65 coming in first. In the DF65 only class, the first three places were tied on 7 points, with Sheep taking the honours on countback, then Gadget in second and Rod (Cactus 81) third. Well sailed to all skippers in trying and frustrating conditions.

Gadget once again had his hat cam on BUT he advised that he inadvertently forgot to turn the camera off. Hence the SD card filled up and overwrote itself with some great footage of the inside of his car on the way home. 😊  Nice work gadget 😊

Thank you again to Sue & Bonnie for scoring the results and taking the all-important drinks order and Gadget for supplying the results, starting sequence equipment, course setting etc

See you all next time.

Bodge.

Well done Bodge, you kept Stu’s record in tact😉.

Thank you for the thoughts, all went well, sooo looking forward to be back at the “Duck”

Cheers

Trout

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.