RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2023 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing DF65/RG65 09/05/2023

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Puddleduck Sailing – RG/DF65s 9.5.23

WOW …. What a cracker of a day at “The Duck”, with plenty happening on and off the water.

Twelve skippers fronted today with various early conversations taking place trying to decide which rig would best suit the SW 10-15knt conditions with higher gusts at times.

Some skippers tried the A+ rig but were completely overpowered, whilst the majority opted for the A rig. There were at least three skippers that opted for their B rig which suited them in the first few races before the wind eased allowing the skippers with A rig to come into their own. Trout lent his B rig to Fab which threw Sue into the land of confusion with two boats with sail no 11.

Race one had a bit of everything, wind (lots of it!), all skippers totally out of control of their boats at some point in the first lap with only 7 out of the 12 boats completing the course. Trout and Bloody Geoff were seen walking to the other side of the pond after unexpectantly seeing their boats beach themselves. Andrew’s boat (A+ rig) was last seen on the southern side of the restaurant hiding next to “Morrison” the floating duck.

Poonie decided the conditions weren’t for him and headed home after retrieving his boat. Graeme also decided that he was totally overpowered with his RG65 A rig and promptly placed it in the rear of his car for remainder of the morning.

Matty G’s boat was very lucky to be recovered as he was unfortunately T boned by an out-of-control yacht that cracked his hull. At one point I thought I was going to witness another “One Australia Americas Cup” sinking, but luck was on Matt’s side as his boat drifted underneath the restaurant (not normally good luck) where it could eventually be retrieved. Graham took to the rescue dinghy and managed to rescue both boats without any further incidents, great job Graham!

After a lengthy delay we managed to get racing underway again after all skippers, Sue and Bonnie managed to catch their breath. Thankfully the weather gods eased off on the major gusts and the remaining 9 skippers finished the remaining 9 races.

Scrooge (RG65) took the overall podium today on 14 points with 3 x first places, and 4 x second places, well sailed Stuart 😊. Trout came in second (first in DF65 class) on 21 points, with yours truly 3rd place on 26 points.

Other note worthy mentions include Andrew launching his boat up onto the fountain, first time I believe 😊, luckily it drifted off, so the rescue dinghy wasn’t required this time.

Poor old Jammy came a “gutzer” after tripping / stepping on Sue’s dog “Bonnie”. I am pleased to report that both Jammy and Bonnie are ok. Not long after that incident, the heavens opened up and that was enough for both Sue and Bonnie and they retreated to the warmth of the car. Graeme dutifully took over the scoring and countdown timer after Gadget’s batteries slowly died out.

It was also good to see the Admiral (Ret) back on the water after a few weeks away travelling, welcome back Col.

Thanks again to Puddleduck for their ongoing hospitality, and all competitors that fronted today.

See you all next time.

Bodge.

Thank you for the results Ron 🙂

Good write up Bodge.

Here is my hat cam footage of that treacherous first race!!!

Hat cam footage of Race 4

Good write up Bodge!

It was great to be back @ da Duck again. Bit of rough n tumble at the start, but settled down to some good racing thereafter. Good job on the hat cam Gadget!
      Top marks to Cookie for improvising the start countdown too …. you got the job!

Fab

Great write up, sums up a fairly hectic day. Thanks to trout for letting me use his B rig, ment the difference between me sailing or not.

Rare to get a lot of wind like this at the vineyard. Would have been great to watch! I wish I had been there!

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.