RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2023 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing DF65/RG65 12/09/2023

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Puddleduck Sailing – RG/DF65s 12.09.23

The forecast for sailing at Puddleduck today was for WNW winds between 4-10 knts, cloudy, coolish temperature, ….. sounds perfect for sailing eh?

In reality it was a millpond with the onsite ducks the only ones creating any wind when taking off and landing.

There was a hint of a slight zephyr of a breeze at 10am, so nine keen skippers that fronted today decided to give sailing a go. We decided to start with a shorter course (S/F, buoy2, 3, 4, then finish). The first two races took 30 mins, so that course remained for the next two races. The breeze slowly drifted in and we then increased the course to two laps and managed to complete 10 races in total by coffee time.

There was the usual mayhem at buoy rounding’s with skippers wanting to take the shortest route but inevitably they came unstuck (or rafted up more to the point) which led them to drop down the finishing order. (it does pay to go wide sometimes fellas 😊). There were also a few “specsaver” moments when buoys were missed on the wrong side (yes I put my hand up for one of those incidents). All in all, it was clean, competitive racing.

Bloody Geoff had an indifferent start to the day when he couldn’t get his boat to work. BG was seen pulling the hatch cover off checking his receiver but no it wasn’t going to work. BG is the only skipper I know that brings two boats along, but alas he did and tried boat #2 … that didn’t work either. ☹ THEN THE PENNY DROPPED …. He hadn’t changed the boat over on his transmitter 😊😊😊 nice work Geoff.

In the combined fleet results, Graeme “Cooka” #52 had a cracking day with his RG with 4 x 1st placings, 3 x 2nds, and 3 x 3rds, podium finish every race! The last race he finished 2nd after starting on a 50 sec handicap, nice sailing Cooka 😊

In the DF Only class, we welcomed back Flash #37 who had been on vacation over on the big island and appeared a little rusty to start off with. Gentle Giant #92 had an indifferent day but did manage a commendable 4th in race two before the wheels fell off. There were only 5 points separating 4th place to 6th place showing that sailing was very competitive mid fleet.

Third place went to Smiling Assassin on 19 pts, 2nd place Trout on 18 points and yours truly won the DF class on 13 points. (see what happens when you get to write the report and enter the results 😊)

Thank you again to Sue (& Bonnie) for their admin work, Puddleduck crew for looking after us, it is always greatly appreciated 😊

Next week it is DF95s at the “Duck”, see you there.

Bodge.

Good write up there Bodge.

I agree with Andrew, a good write up Bodge. You may have heard me chucking from Ireland! 😁👍

• geeze  they get the internet in ireland ………………….wow      just sayn

Just barely Kermit. We’re over on the west coast atm and the internet is just trickling in!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.