RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2024 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing DF65/RG65 12 Mar 2024

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Thirteen sailors attended gusty and shifty wind conditions at the Duck today. The only good part about the wind was that it generally blew from the south.

Two classic slip-ups today were Fab thinking it was a DF95 day and Lisa not bringing along her transmitter!  Fab, your boat was classified as RG65 on the scoresheet for the purpose to separate it from the DF65 only class.

Inspired by the challenging courses that were set up by the PRO on the Peter Smith Memorial Regatta, we decided to try some different courses today to keep the Puddleduck Sailors on their toes.

We took advantage of the “mostly” southerly wind and set our start line from buoys one and two. This gave us nice long beats up to buoy four, then buoy three keeping those buoys to starboard. First lap was back to buoy two, then four, three, two.  We included buoy one in the last lap to straighten the fleet to beat upwind to the finish line and the eagle eyes of Sue, Bonnie and Lisa.  This proved a bit challenging for some who forgot about buoy one on the second lap!  We then experimented with changing buoys one, two and three, four to outside gates for one race. We then settled on buoys one and two as inside gates.

Sailors who had quick reactions to the shifty wind conditions and kept their boats moving got the best results. This was proven in the last race where Lisa sailed #164.  I had been sailing #164 all morning and couldn’t get it going.  Off course, I blamed the boat!  Lisa proved that it wasn’t the boats’ fault!  (Nemesis Andrew, you don’t need to worry about Lisa coming first with my boat in the last race, it doesn’t change our respective finishing positions!) 🙂

Once again, big congratulations to Bluey for winning the combined fleet race. Podium positions included a DF95 which shows how well you have your RG tuned and how well you sail it.

Jammy, keeping to his true form, wins the DF65 class again. A good follow-up from the Peter Smith Memorial Regatta.  Well done Jammy.

Trout was only one point behind Jammy in Second place. Well done Trout.

Flash was the stand out on the podium in the DF65 class, with firsts in races five and six. Great sailing today, Flash.

Commiserations to Cookie as his RG suffered servo problems in race one. Hopefully you will have it all sorted out for next 65 Tuesday and give everyone a run for their money.

Once again, a big thankyou to our ever-vigilant scorer Sue and assistant Bonnie, and our Puddleduck hosts. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves today.

Hatcam videos to follow…

Great summary of todays event Gadget 👍

A few hat cam videos…

Race 1

Race 3

Race 5

Race 8

Short video of snorkelling at Mana Island Resort, Fiji

Ron saw your snake in the video at around the 1.47 mark.

Good video

Thanks Andrew but that was just a piece of weed I think.

This is a photo of the sea snake which I took by accident as I was frantically trying to get away from it:

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.