RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2024 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing DF65/RG65 Split Fleet 9 Apr 2024

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

A new record was broken today at Puddleduck with a whopping 21 sailors showing up. Any non-sailing Puddleduck customers would have been relegated to overflow parking!

As today was the DF65-RG65 Puddleduck lunch day, Puddleduck staff were most impressed by the number of sailors standing beside the dam.

With such a large number of sailors, Bodge and I decided it was time to bite the bullet and test out our new split fleet format.

The fleet was split by sailors retrieving a white or silver ball from a bucket. Depending on the colour, the sailor was then assigned to the “White Knights” or “Silver Foxes” fleet.

The White Knights sailed first for two back-to-back races followed by the Silver Foxes for two back-to-back races and so on. We managed to have enough time at the end to do a combined race with all sailors.

Overall, we believe the day went rather well. A few comments that were overheard around the dam wall included “It was good to have a bit of a rest between races when the fleet changed over…” and “It was good to be able to watch the other fleet without having to concentrate on your own boat”.

Bodge and I still need to fine tune the split fleet format. It would be nice to ascertain the top sailors from each fleet and have a final race with these sailors, to determine overall podium places for the day. This will require more time so we may need to extend the overall sailing time by starting a bit earlier, finishing a bit later or both.

The following four race results detail the DF65-RG65 White Nights, DF65 White Nights, DF65-RG65 Silver Foxes and DF65 Silver Foxes.

In future, we will allocate the RG65 class boats in the same fleet which will give them more competition between themselves and reduce the amount of race result sheets.

All this extra scoring put Sue and Bonnie to the test and they performed admirably. Thank you Sue and Bonnie for doing such a magnificent job.  Also, thank you to the sailors that assisted Sue with calling the sail numbers out at the finish of races.

Any comments or suggestions for todays formant would be greatly appreciated and if people would like to share any photos or videos would be great also.

Gadget.

Excellent work Gadget, Bodge, Sue and Bonnie!! The records certainly were broken today but with your excellent stewardship the racing was still excellent.
      The conditions were at time very frustrating for all skippers. Winds from the NW/W flicking around with gusts made it a challenge. I had a day of broken rigging that eventually put me out of the racing. Fortunately all is repairable.
      I’ve shot and edited a video of the last race of the day which I hope captures a little of the landmark event. This race was an ‘all in’ and it certainly was busy! I hope you like it.
      Admiral

Humble apology to the folks who clicked the previous video link and weren’t able to see the video. When uploaded it automatically was classified as ‘private’ and because of this it could not be seen. Sorry.

Fingers crossed this works!

Fab

Great write up Ron, I think the day was run really well including the course set. My thanks goes to yourself and Bodge along with Sue and Bonnie.

Fab.

Great write up Gadget 👍 lots to write about.

we did have a couple of new members join us today, Rod Viney and Peter Sypkes, welcome gents.

Peter’s boat was the first time it had seen water and had a few teething issues and I am sure Peter will have those sorted before next outing. I believe he only finished putting together his A rig together last night with an A+ rig in the pipeline. Rod had a mixed day still coming to grips with RC sailing… yep it is a big learning curve !

we did have an early casualty today, with Malcolm watching on the sidelines after losing power in R1 ….. there is always the next outing eh.

Thank you again to Puddleduck crew who again looked after us after sailing with a record number of skippers staying back to enjoy PDV fare, 😋

Just like to add that the arrangement of an ABC array of starting buoy options is brilliant and it worked well today. Much more sensible and efficient than what we dreamed up initially. Congratulations to Bodge, Gadget and the Puddleduck crew who put it in place.
        👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻

1. Well done Bodge and Ron,huge effort

admiral

Tried to look at you video but could not get to it. Anyone else have this problem??

Enjoyable day for all and well run by Ron and Bodge.

Apologies Andy. Should be able to see it now.

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.