RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2024 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing DF95 16t5h April 2024

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

There was very little wind on the Derwent when I was travelling out to the vineyard today and my usual expectation is that there will be generally less wind at Puddleduck than what graces the Derwent. But surprise! It wasn’t too bad. A patchy Westerly of 0-5 knots – which later in the morning turned South-West with some stronger gusts. Plenty enough for DF95 racing!

I have been encouraging my brother, Alan Short to have a go at radio sailing and we welcomed him today for his first time out. Al sailed my boat, while Phil Turnbull loaned me his spare boat for the day. Thanks very much for this Phil. I think that Al was pretty wrapped with the day.  Even though he didn’t place well he told me how much he enjoyed the sail and meeting the skippers at coffee. I would not be surprised if we see him with his own DF95 at Puddleduck in the coming weeks.

An honourable mention today goes to Ron Cullen for his strong race win in race #6. Before racing today Ron showed me a really interesting and useful set of gauges that can accurately measure slot openings, sheeting angle etc. I am hoping that Ron will post some details of these below……

Third overall today went to Phil Turnbull with a race win and three seconds in his mix. Second went to Phil Jackman, just one point ahead of the Smiling Assassin but with super-consistent results. Today’s winner was Jammy Jones. Jammy took out the last race even from a 45 second handicap, starting the race well after the closest opposition. Congratulations to the Smiling Assasin, Trout and Jammy!

Always fun sailing at the vineyard!

Shorty

Great write up Shorty and excellent course selection during the morning keeping up with the unpredictable shifting winds we all love at the Puddleduck.

As mentioned, here is a link to DF95 Tuning Gauges that I saw on Thingiverse.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5885190

I thought I’d try them out and here are a few photos of the gauges attached to my DF95:

Jib footer:

Jib close hauled:

Jib leech:

Main footer:

Main close hauled:

The tuning gauges:

Hat cam footage Race 1:

Another report masterpiece Shorty 👍

Gadget, I could be interested in a set of Tuning gauges, just let me know how much please.

Thanks Bodge

I would like to buy a set too if you are doing some Ron.

Cheers Shorty

Hat cam footage Race 3:

Great hat cam gadget, thank you

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.