RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2023 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing DF95 28th November

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

It was a cool and cloudy day at Puddleduck Vineyard. A 2 – 5 knot South Easterly made it with gusts that came each side of the café made it difficult both for course setting and for sailing. Never-the-less 12 skippers fronted for racing which is quite a good fleet for the DF95s.

(Bloody) Geoff Matthews and I managed to lock together and then snare ourselves on the fountain. Incredibly bad luck for that to happen but extraordinary good seamanship to sail ourselves off – or – extraordinary bad seamanship for that to happen but incredibly good luck to sail off – you chose!

It was close racing as usual with podium places getting shared well around the fleet. I reckon that Bodge can be feeling rightly ripped off after finishing with two wins and a second in an eight race series but only getting 5th overall.

Ron Cullen’s sail away win in race #6 was worthy of special mention and it showed how if you can establish a little break under these conditions it often gives you a good enough buffer to win.

I was able to get third place overall. Consistency was the difference between my result and the next four placings.

Second was taken out by the tag team effort of Dave Woolley (Sheep) and Bruce Palmer who took turns at sailing and race PRO duties. Important to mention that Sheep contributed a race win and a 2nd to the tally so very well sailed to both of you.

Jammy Jones took out the day (again) but only a few points ahead today. We are definitely keeping him honest and are not too far away. Congratulations Jammy!

Some important dates for the calendar were discussed over coffee.

Next week is a ‘Stay-for-lunch-at-the-café’ week for those who wish to do so.

December 19th will be the last day of sailing for the year. This is a DF65 day official (but anyone who wants to bring something else can feel free to do so.) On this day we will have a bring you own food BBQ.

We will have a short break from sailing over Christmas. So no sailing on Boxing Day or on Tuesday 2nd January. The first race for next year will be Tues 9th January and that will be a DF95 day.

Shorty

Great fun today Shorty.  Thanks for setting the challenging courses.  It was hard to navigate in the swirling wind but the day ended up very satifying.

Following is the hat cam footage from today. I ended up upgrading my micro SD card to capture more races but alas, the camera battery doesn’t last the full two hours so I missed the last race.

Race 1:

Race 2:

Race 3:

Race 4:

Race 5:

Race 6:

Race 7 still to come as it is still uploading to YouTube.

Race 7:

Another great write Shorty 👍

thankyou for the videos Gadget, nice work 👍

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.