RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2023 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing DF95 Nov 14 2023

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

It was a fine day at the vineyard with a testing, gusty, swirling 0 – 10 knot South-Westerly. Eleven skippers fronted to meet its challenges.

Tight racing meant that there were frequent stack-ups at the buoys. I remember that Lisa once told us that one of the secrets to sailing around tight courses with lots of boats was to give everyone a wide berth and in doing so you will stay out of trouble. I did notice several times that boats sailing in close quarters frequently snared each other allowing following competitors chances to claim their positions.

A few boats had mechanical issues today and both Jammy and Don (for different reasons) had to watch while their boat was doing tight little donut circles with no control at all.

At the end of racing their were five skippers who each had achieved a handicap penalty of 25 seconds and so I could not pick a clear winner by just looking at the sheet. In fact the tally showed that there was only 12 points separating the first six today and just 2 points separating the first three.

Special mention today to Dave Woolley (Sheep) who had two race wins and a second place for 5th overall today.

I took third place overall with a lot of ‘useful’ 3rd and 4th places in the tally.That Smiling Assassin – Phil Turnbull claimed second, quiet and consistent as usual. And today’s winner, by the smallest margin was again Jammy Jones. I thought that Jammy’s day had come to and end when he missed a couple of races late in the day, but he managed to make repairs and launched again to claim a couple of podiums in the last two races. Congratulations Jammy!

It is always fun. You have got to look forward to Tuesday at the vineyard.

Shorty

Nice write up Shorty, fun sailing today

Great write up Shorty. It was challenging sometimes with the fluky gusts as usual at the Duck.

I had a few issues with my hat cam today.  I thought I had pressed record for the first race but I was mistaken 😕

I managed to capture race 2-6 but then the memory card filled up and I missed race 7-10.

Race 2 hatcam video:

Race 3 hatcam video:

The rest of the videos are still being processed.

Race 4 hatcam video:

Race 5 hatcam video:

Race 6 hatcam video:

Great vids Gadget. Thanks! Those boats were really moving fast today.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.