RC BOATING YACHTING Sailing at Puddleduck Sailing @ Puddleduck 2019 Puddleduck Vineyard Racing 11th June 2019 (DF65)

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Once more Puddleduck Pond welcomed us with the promise of steady NW A+ strength breezes and no weed.

The Merry Men were joined today by Mike Jefferys and daughter Sally. Mike and Sally are at the beginning of a two week Tassy RV tour and took the opportunity today to join the Merry Men for some Puddleduck goodness.

Before racing got underway Mike, who is the current DF65 Queensland State Champion, gave of his expertise and knowledge by walking us through his personal setup routine and measurements therein. This was very generous of him and we all benefited a great deal through it.

Finally underway, all eleven skippers got down to the business and some terrific close racing ensued.

Our Darcy #48 came out of the blocks fighting to claim first blood for the day. His joy was all too short lived however as next race saw the red terror broken down and stranded with an electrical fault, effectively sidelining him for the rest of the session.

Ron #43 ghosted in, made an entrance then disappeared again with only fleeting glimpses after that. Rumour has it he is testing a top secret gofast setting that will render all others obsolete. Watch this space for updates.

Great to welcome back the brothers Rodger once more to our pond. Paul #159 and Justin (Purple sails) are relatively new to RC yachting, however they are proving to be quick learners, already moving up the placings with each new outing.

Great to welcome back John #62 also. Due to work commitments he is often unavailable to join in the fun so it was great to see him back on the water and sailing well.

Kermit #82, Pond mascot and fierce competitor was on fire today. He is really getting that mean green machine dialled in and was threatening the pointy end for most of the session.

Don #99 set a new record for fountain follies today. Ignoring his ‘Starboard’ right of way calls, the fountain refused to give ground and is now winning 2 – nil.

Liberated from the weight of his normal race day duties, Mike #64 got down to business and was impressive to say the least. Always a solid performer, he finished well as 3rd overall today .

Despite some pretty ordinary results to start with, Col #23 finished strongly with two firsts and a third. Considering the quality of competition he was happy with second for the day.

Biggest story of today’s session was the sensational sailing slug fest between our visitor Mike #59 and our Gerald #02. Toe to toe in every race and with barely daylight between them at any time these two skippers finished their epic battle on exactly even points. Even a countback could not separate them as each had an identical number of firsts, seconds and thirds.

I could not think of a better ending to a fantastic day’s racing than a shared first place between the champions of Qld and Tassy.

After seven races with one drop, the results were;

Darcy and Ron (insufficient races completed),

Paul on 52 points, John on 44, Justin on 41, Kermit on 33, Don on 28, Mike H on 26, Col on 19 and our joint winners today, Mike J and Gerald on just 11 points.

Huge thank you to Sally Jefferys for doing a great job PROing and shooting some great video.

Also thanks to Mike H for operating the start sequence and his usually excellent video work.

It was great to also see our DF65 State representative Kyle Stewart join us for fellowship and coffee post racing. Due to work commitments Kyle wasn’t able to sail with us today however his generosity in loaning Mike Jefferys a boat was a solid contribution to the day’s success.

Next week sees big brother DF95 get a run @ The Duck, see you there!

More pics from today available here

Race 1

Race 4

Race 5

Race 6

Race 7

What a superb day  and today we were blessed from a God and his absolute gorgeous goddess daughter Sally….  Mikes wisdom on all things RC sailing was   without doubt a high light of today’s sailing  but sally    was  to much for most of us ol timers today  causing chaos  and confusion  with the merry men  including me ” example”  I was sailing along in a nice place when I sneaked a peek across to perve on .sally…..on seeing her my hands shook my fingers pushed levers  thumbs pressed buttons  then Im hitting other boats  in a blink of an eye this goddess reduced the fleet to scattered floundering  hulks  ( Is this how Mike wins his races ) certainly worked well for him today …..It wasn’t Ron’s  day today with more servo trouble and leaving the pond (he is our marker for the shallow water)  Our two newbies sailed well with some fine hits and bumps earning  them 6 out of ten points for the day fine effort boys  predator showed fantastic form with aggressive manoeuvres   and on this day he left the fountain alone and left it to another to play with it …..Uncle G was in excellent  form once again with a few wins an some other places  not worth mentioning really ……….long tall always a fighter had a few hits today but bounced back from the bank to get places in the final count….. cant remember what they were ……. again not important      did god win ?  if he did thanks team for letting the main lander have the glory of thinking He won   Now the question I know your all waiting for is how did the duck hunter fair       No bloody good it was sally’s fault  her beauty cast a glow across the pond and I was lost in its reflection  thus sailing out of any chances of a place in the silly races  AS  to the other place getters  long tall when he bothers to put a report in will let ya know how ya went ……      Thanks Mike for your help in setting up the boats  for today’s  bit of fun  hope the weather stays nice an unpredictable  couse that’s how we like it      kermit la frog

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.