RC BOATING YACHTING DF65’s & DF95’s Rules – Tacking and Running boats.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Rules – Tacking and Running boats;

The figure-8 course that we have used in recent weeks at Puddleduck does seem to give us a much better course in both North Westerly and South Westerly conditions but it does mean that there is a cross-over between yachts that are running and those beating up-wind.

I thought it useful to outline the rules and conventions regarding right-of-way under these circumstances.

There are four seperate cases to consider if one yacht is running and one boat is beating and in three of those cases the running boat must give way.

• If both boats are on port tack then the running boat is to windward and must give way.
      • If both boats are on starboard tack then the running boat is to windward and must give way.
      • If the running boat is on port and the boat beating upwind is on starboard the running boat gives way.
      • But in the case where the running boat is on starboard tack and the boat beating upwind is on port tack – only in this case  – does the running boat have right of way.

It should also be considered that even in the case where the running boat has right of way;

• It is more easily manouvered than the beating boat.
      • It costs the running boat much less time to alter its course than the beating boat.
      • And given the boats are on different legs the two boats are not likely to be in contest with each other in terms of finishing position.

Bearing all this in mind, and, adding the complication that it is sometimes difficult to see which tack a running boat it on, I have decided to make it my personal decision that it is best practice for me to adopt the practice that when running I should always give way to all beating boats. It actually simplifies things a bit as it means I don’t have to constantly be working out what tack I am on.

This is not a rule of sailing, it is of course quite OK for a boat running on starboard to demand right-of-way over a boat beating on port tack, but the important point I wish to make here is that the onus should be on the running boat to make it quite clear what they are doing.

Running skippers should talk loud and clear to beating boats. They should tell them what they are doing.

“Im going above you Bodge.”

“Im going below you Phil.”

Or if they are running on starboard and wish to claim right of way, “Starboard Jammy!”

So the important thing is: THE ONUS IS ON THE SKIPPER OF THE RUNNING BOAT TO MAKE IT QUITE CLEAR WHAT THEY ARE DOING.

Shorty

Great clarification of the rule Shorty.  Thank you for pointing it out.

Great explanation Shorty 👍

yep  quite a lot of rules you lads have  When we are  at the canal  a running boat  is  because the sinker is chasing us  with the intent of sinking us an then we have a possible cross over  at that stage he is beating us from starboard to port    This is not a rule of sailing, it is of course quite OK for the sinker running on starboard to demand right-of-way over a boat beating on port tack, but the important point I wish to make here is that the onus should be on the raming boat to make it quite clear what he is gunna do     like

” im going to sink you kermit ”

”   like hell you are  sinker ”

So our rules are less restricted and more flexible then puddle ducks    ” its a survival thing   ”      ……………just sayn

ps   whatcha  recon  shorty

👍👍

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.