RC AIRCRAFT BUILDS Electric Powered Sky Climber II – a rebuild story

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

The rebuild of Predators Sky Climber II

Phoenix in all her glory

After one too many crashes a few weeks ago with my Sky Climber “Phoenix” it was time to strip out everything serviceable and donate the remains to the Graveyard display @ The Field

After the strip out, she will Rise from the Ashes No More  (she looks fine in the pic but its all an illusion & a whole lot of hotmelt glue stick)

I already has another Sky Climber (Ex VK7FB) that had only suffered very minor damage so that will be the new FPV Platform. Haven’t decided on a name yet but I’m sure something appropriate will come to me.

First order of the day was to remove the wings and straighten the curve in the tail, some boiling water on the foam while loaded up with a CF straightening rod soon had it looking fairly straight.

Next the nose needed the boiling water treatment to get it into shape for the canopy to fit.  Now all is straight it is time to start the assembly.

Next was to checkout the FY41AP-Lite auto pilot recovered for Phoenix. Unfortunately the casing was a bit worse for wear after the last impact with Terra Firma so it was time to get the 3D printer out and design & print a new base plate

Auto Pilot minus base Top Pic, broken base left pic, 3D printed replacement right pic

The 600mW VTX had also suffered damage with the antenna socket snapped off. Luckily I had a pack of replacement sockets so that was a fairly quick repair.

Now that is all sorted assembly can at last finally start (tomorrow).

GOOD TIPS THERE PRED   I DIDN’T KNOW ABOUT HOT WATER………..  INTERESTING ….YOU WOULD THINK ALL THE HOT SHOWERS THE DRAGON HAS HAD OVER THE YEARS HER WRINKLES WOULD HAVE STRAIGHTEN OUT ….I GUESS HOT WATER CAN ONLY DO JUST SO MUCH ……. CANT WAIT FOR THE NEXT INSTALMENT …… ANYTHING ABOUT CONCRETE

As flying @ “The Field” was cancelled today I spent some more time on the Sky Climber rebuild.

Motor has been refitted along with the 40A Turnigy Plush ESC. Reset MAX power (something I usually forget) and all tests OK. I remembered to leave the prop off this time after nearly decapitating the dog when testing Kermits Radian glider (the whole nosecone & motor fell off).

Also designed & 3D printed a new Gimbal & GPS antenna mount.

The pitot tube for the AirSpeed sensor has also been fitted

The pan/tilt gimbal has been repaired & fitted to the new mount

Not far to go now

Got a bit more done this afternoon after sailing @ Puddleduck.

All wiring is now completed and the 600mw VTX installed in a 3D printed housing. Hopefully this will prevent the antenna sockets from snapping off in a heavy impact on landing.

New 3D printed VTX mount

Gimbal is now all wired up and working as well

Still need to fit the wings but the COG appears to be close to where it should be with the flight battery & all the gear installed

Its finally starting to look more like a plane now that the wings have been fitted. Also needed to replace the control rods feeding the elevator & rudder as the feed tubes were damaged & blocked with glue. All good now. FPV gear has been tested and its controlling & transmitting as expected, just have the head-tracker on the goggles to test but all else tests OK.

Started on the new livery, the main wings are finished so now only the rudder & tail plane to tart up then a quick tune up of the autopilot & she is good to go.

Oh yes, finally got a name “Prowler” and the callsign VH-FPV

Did the tail livery today so the Prowler is finished.

Also added a Sky Climber Custom logo just to show its parentage

So the Nine Eagles Sky Climber (Custom) “Prowler” build (or rebuild actually) is now completed & ready for our next Fly In @ The Field

END..

THE END  could be the beginning of the end or the end of the beginning   AT TOP GUN FLIGHT SCHOOL WE TRAIN OUR PILOTS for this type of scenario    there is a vacancy  at TGFS at the moment to train you in this type of  possible problem as  a second  CFI  i can offer a discount for this training  a vote for kermit la frog at the forth coming elections would see you qualified   regards  CFI TGFS Kermit la frog

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.