RC AIRCRAFT BUILDS Flight Controllers & other electronics SpeedyBee F405-Wing

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

As most know I have been using iNav firmware on Mateksys FC F411- flight controllers for quite some time now after being pointed in their general direction by Gerald (Sinker – Uncle G)

Started off with the 411-WSE then changed to the 411-WTE when the WSE became unavailable.

As the 411 models are getting a bit long in the tooth it appears as if they will no longer be actively supported by the iNav community so it was time for a change.

Initially I looked at the MatekSys FC F405-Wing but along the way discovered the SpeedyBee F405 Wing which was around the same price but seemed to be a better system.

The SpeedyBee F405-Wing will work with both iNav & Ardupilot.

Anyway, it turned up today (around 2 week delivery) so it was time for a play.

It comes well packed in its own box (much more substantial than the Mateksys antistatic bags)

On opening the box you are presented with the 3 stackable main control boards and a printed full colour & comprehensive Quick Start guide

Under that layer are more cables & connectors than you would ever need along with straight & angle header pins, screws & standoffs etc

Apart from the main battery & ESC power leads that must be soldered to the bottom power distribution board & the servo header pins (if you want full plug & play) everything else has a well labelled socket & a lead with the appropriate plugs.

The USB programming plug is on a separate plug in header board complete with switchable alert buzzer & boot/program button so that does give more options for mounting the board in your plane (which is just a well as its a tad bigger than the old 411 boards.

It took a little while to work out how to connect & program the Smart Port telemetry port but everything else was straightforward. Even the GPS powers up (via USB program lead) without the need to connect the flight battery so that makes setting up a bit easier.

An added bonus (if you decide to use it) is that the 405 Wing comes with a “Black Box” recorder built in (just need to plug in an SD Card). This needs to be done before you assemble the stack as the SD card socket is on the middle board, better protected there I guess but a bitch to access.

Anyway the power leads are on, header pins installed, system programmed & checked (yes the telemetry works fine on this one) so tomorrow I will install it in the recently acquired Blanik Glider, hopefully ready for our next flying day.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention is this FC comes with built in Bluetooth & WiFi so it will connect to the SpeedyBee mobile phone programming app without any adaptor needed.

cost please ta

Well then, all up you are probably looking at $150.00

F405- Wing FC = $70.00 inc postage

BN-220 GPS = $22.00 inc postage

then you need an XT60 plug & socket

Red & Black silicone wiring (for battery & ESC)

Heatshrink

Compatible Receiver with SBUS & S-Port connections (I use FrSky X8R)

and of course a computer capable of programming the FC. The first one is always a challenge but then they get much easier.

To get the most out of the telemetry you also need a decent RC Radio that can handle LUA scripts, I use a Jumper T16 (which has a large full colour display) but any of the new RadioMaster radios should also be fine & even the older Taranis X9D will do the job but you only get a monochrome telemetry display which is harder to read.

If using FPV both the camera and VTX plug straight into the F405-Wing to provide programmable OSD to you goggles or screen.

Very fancy Mike and thanks for the  great review.

Good to hear it supports Ardupilot.

Yes Ron, thought that may interest you !!

An what about me . I thought it was interesting right up to $150  well that was at the start wasnt it after that it was gooby gook  but im not a complete ingoramis  I do know what heat shrink is ………………………………………just sayn

That’s a lot of features for not a lot of money 👍

There is a lot of misinformation on the net with regard to what the addressable LED ports on the SpeedyBee F405-Wing Flight Controller can & can’t do.

I think I watched it all however I was not convinced

General consensus is the LED’s can’t be programmed and only flash in SB Mode (the default mode). Flashing Red for Port, Flashing Green for Starboard & two x Fixed White for landing lights.

NOT TRUE-just watch the video.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.