HOW TO DO SOMETHING (Website or RC related) How to – RC related Storage & Charging of LiPi batteries (A Warning)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Posted by Snit – August 2016

Just wanted to do a public service announcement in regards to the storage of LiPo batteries.

I learnt today that one of our members sheds burnt down from leaving a battery connected inside an rc car.

$50 k damage.

Just a bit of a reminder to us all not to take them for granted.

Video Link here to use as a reference for those interested in having a look.

There is plenty of info about on the net.

Thanks

Dave

Sticky Racing

Yes Dave, it doesn’t pay to leave LiPo batteries connected to anything when they are not in use or you are not close at hand.

That goes for chargers as well as vehicles, planes boats etc.

The LiPo batteries should always be removed at the completion of your run and recharged under supervision as soon as possible.

There are lots of instances of this, mainly toy RC vehicles being charged by kids and not understanding the dangers. The parents also are amazed that a small model can cause so much damage.

There was an instance over here a few years ago when a very experienced flyer charged his batteries in his expensive plane. Not something he normally does but he was running out of time. He always stayed around while on charge but this time his daughter came out to get some help with a DVD playing. By the time he got back to his garage he could not get in the door. Lost his garage and all his gear, luckily the fire brigade saved the house. Why it happened is unknown but it can.

At the moment I have my LiPo’s in fireproof bags but that takes a bit of room. Thinking of using metal boxes, vented, I think will be more space efficient. Had a look at a number of YT videos and there seems to be two schools of thought. How do you store yours?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.